Thursday, February 12, 2009

do you believe in things that you don't understand?

my friend nicole keeps reminding me that tomorrow will be friday the 13th. i don't put much stock in all that superstitious waffle but i feel compelled to share the following two extraordinarily dumb things i've done in the past week, one one that i had no control over but sucks nonetheless:

-tuesday: with little over an hour to spare before meeting my friends at a club, i rushed to somerfield (small grocery store) for a cheap bottle of wine. in my haste i'd forgotten my ID, and sure enough the cashier apparently thought i looked under 18, and as there was a rather large security guard lurking in the background i thought it unwise to say what was on the tip of tongue. severely annoyed, but determined to prove my age nonetheless, i raced back home, grabbed the right wallet, and sped back to somerfield, only to find my previous cashier relieved of his post by another who clearly had no qualms about selling my underage-looking self alchohol. lovely.

-yesterday: i spent about six hours in the computer lab (reason for which i will explain below). i was hungry, hungrier than a very hungry thing, but i had little funds with which to procure nourishment, until around 5 pm. when that happy hour finally came i ran gleefully to sainsbury's (big grocery store), gathered the necessary foodstuffs (including sushi!!! they had sushi! yum.)*, and proudly waited in line at a register before realizing with a sinking feeling that i had left the house that morning WITHOUT MY WALLET. cut to me once more doing the store-to-home, home-to-store dash, and breathlessly paying for my food and before again beginning the journey home, now weighed down with grapefruit and cartons of soy milk and other items that seemed to weigh entirely too much.

-as i explained in a previous post, my computer cord decided to suddenly stop working sometime last week, and in a generous stroke of kindness my roommate left her laptop while she went home for five days for my use. but of course, the night she left, her laptop decided to automatically install updates and restart, and i need her password to log on. roommate is M.I.A. on facebook. i still have no computer. excellent.

*sushi was, to put it plainly, terrible. then again, it was sainsbury brand sushi. 2.20. what was i expecting, really?

going ice skating later on with some friends - let's hope my "luck" changes before then. broken limbs are the opposite of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Yiiikes. Don't complain, you can't buy alcohol in the US till you're 21. Hope you get the computer cord soon. As you know I am without a computer 'cause mine is in Bristol so I FEEL your pain.

    Keep writing, I think we can get a book out of this

    Much hugs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete